geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: About deploying web applications to Tomcat 7.0
Date Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:20:34 GMT

On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:51 AM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi,
>     With the latest welcome-tomcat-server assembly, I could run the
> pre-shipped welcome plugins, and everything seems well, with pre-
> compiled and non-pre-compiled jsps.
>     Later, I tried to deploy a simple web application via deploy
> command, it failed as expected ;-)
>     The current problem I think we need to solve first is that we
> should have a decision about how to store the package in the
> repository. From the usual work style in OSGI, it is better to keep
> a packed file there. About the inplace way, so far I could not see
> any way to deploy a folder to the OSGI runtime. Currently, all the
> copying work is done by the implementations of ResourceContext, each
> modulebuilder would be resposible for copying the module files to
> the folder in the repository. An intuitive way is to provide a new
> implementation for the ResourceContext, it would support to update
> the packed file.
>     Any comment before I try it ? I did not go through all the
> deployment codes, something might be missed. ^_^

I don't think we can support in-place deployment until after we figure
out how to support direct use of bundles in our maven-like repo
without copying them into the osgi structure.  I think about this
sometimes but don't regard it as a high priority.

Can you be more specific about what doesn't work, and how you tried to
deploy?  I didn't know any of the deploy commands worked enough to
even start deployment.  If they do, It's not obvious to me what might
be broken.  Does a packed bundle get created?  Does geroimo know how
to tell osgi about it?

thanks
david jencks