geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Keep the same convention of import/export packages
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:56:52 GMT

On Dec 2, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi,
>     Currently, Geronimo uses many third-parties bundles (like
> pubished by ServiceMix), also publishes some bundles by our own. So,
> whether importing and exporting the packages at the same time, I
> think we need to have a same convention. I checked the bundles
> published by ServiceMix, for those tool components, like commons-*,
> they do not import their own packages. I also found those bundles
> published by Felix always import those packages.  Generally
> specaking, it is hard to say which one is better. So, for Geronimo,
> personally, I prefered the way of ServiceMix, which does not import
> those packages at the same time for those tool-like components.
>     Any comment ?

I've had some discussions with Guillaume about this.  There are some
circumstances where having 2 versions of a jar, importing what you
export, and loading the jars in the wrong order can cause problems.
This is why Guillaume has adopted the servicemix approach.

I think this is wrong and that such problems should be avoided by
package versioning and scoping or bundle isolation.  I don't think rfc
138 is going to provide a very usable solution but it is likely to be
the best we can come up with at this point.

Anyway I think we should follow everyone else's advice and import what
we export.  It is really only crucial when a bundle registers some
services but I think it is still good practice.

david jencks

> --
> Ivan

View raw message