geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jack Cai <greensi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Need review] The mock UI for displaying bundle information
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:44:22 GMT
In line below.

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Delos <daition@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your comments, Jack. See my reply below.
>
> 1. Better add a "filter" or alike text before textbox D
> I agree it's better to add a label for a textbox. But since there has been
> "symbolic name" in front of the textbox,  I'm afraid the "filter" text
> here may cause confusion.We will add tool tips such as "filter" for the
> textbox. That can also indicate what it is used for.

We might borrow the design from Eclipse then, i.e., show the default text
"type filter text" in the filter box.

> 2. Area B is a little far away from the selection checkboxes, suggest to
> move them closer. By design, users always need to select some bundles by
> checking the check boxes and then move the mouse to the action buttons in B.
> So the nearer, the better
> Agree. Besides, we're trying to replace "select all" and "deselect all"
> button with two icons. Hopefully, they can be put into the header of the
> checkboxes column. Then, area B will be placed in the left side, it will
> be nearer to the checkboxes
>

> 3. It looks like the buddle information page is pretty lightweight. Have we
> considered to embed it into the list page? As a pop up or expandable area...
> In Web console of Felix, the bundle information page is embedded in the
> table. When user expand the bundle item in the table, the bundle information
> will show. But not all the bundle information is so short as shown in our
> screenshot. The information is often too long to shown in a table. So we
> hope to show it in a separate portlet.
> Since several portlets can be shown in one page, we can show the two
> portlets together to avoid page jump. I will upload another screenshot  for
> it later.
>

> 4. Might want to add paging function
> I think you mean the paging for bundle list.
> We hope to use the scroll bar in the table instead of separate bundle list
> into several pages. With the scroll bar for the table, user can locate to
> any bundle in the list. In this way, the paging is transparent to user.

Do you mean something like the Google Reader does? ie., auto-load more items
as the user scrool down? That's cool!

> 5. Might want to use icon to show the status
> Do you mean we replace the text such as "Active","Resolved" with icons. If
> so,  we have to make user realize what status the icon stands for. Do you
> think tool tip is enough? BTW, I'm also considering to replace the buttons
> in Area B with icons.

We can keep the text in addition to the icon. Icons give user faster
"visual" sense compared to text.