geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] geronimo 2.2 release (2nd try)
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 13:19:09 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:
> On Dec 8, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>> README & RELEASE NOTES are not included in the assembly images - just in the
source.  I think these should also be in the assemblies and this is what we have done in the
>> RELEASE NOTES in the source is not updated with the appropriate version  in the name
or internal content: RELEASE_NOTES-2.2-SNAPSHOT.txt and @version@ internally (this would not
be a problem if we had it included in the binaries with the version # resolved).
> Not great, but I wouldn't stop the release for that...

Agreed, but I'm still not thrilled that the readme and release-notes are
not included in the assembly images.   We have included those in every
assembly we have delivered to date.  I'm still undecided on how critical
it is if they are missing in this release.  We usually include a link to
the release-notes on the download page so users that don't download the
source at least have this view of the release-notes even if they are not
included in the image.  However, the readme is typically only available
in the assemblies and the source ... and IMO it's more useful in the
assemblies since it gives directions on things like installation,
commands, deployment, etc...  I guess for this release we could also add
a link to the readme on the download page if nothing else.

>> It is not clear to me the purpose of the new assembly - geronimo-plugin-farm-node-2.2.
 Is this discussed someplace and will it be made available as an individual download on from
our download page?
> Regardless of availability as an explicit download, will be in maven and more importantly
in source (and created during a build).

Right ... I was just surprised when I saw it and I didn't understand its
purpose.  Typically with a vote we provide convenience links to the
assemblies that we intend to deliver to ensure they are verified as part
of the vote.  That wasn't the case with this vote.  I didn't do anything
to verify the farm assembly and I wasn't sure if anybody else did.  Part
of my question was really just to understand if this is a new assembly
that we want customers to start using with 2.2 (it will be on the
download page) or if it is more of a tech-preview (and may or may not be
on the download page).  If it is more than just a tech preview it should
be verified as part of the vote and also mentioned it in the
RELEASE-NOTES (perhaps in the Geronimo 2.2 enhancements) and certainly
at the bottom where we list each of the distributions along with a

View raw message