geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan <>
Subject Re: About deploying web applications to Tomcat 7.0
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:29:41 GMT
2009/12/29 David Jencks <>

> On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:51 AM, Ivan wrote:
>  Hi,
>>    With the latest welcome-tomcat-server assembly, I could run the
>> pre-shipped welcome plugins, and everything seems well, with pre-compiled
>> and non-pre-compiled jsps.
>>    Later, I tried to deploy a simple web application via deploy command,
>> it failed as expected ;-)
>>    The current problem I think we need to solve first is that we should
>> have a decision about how to store the package in the repository. From the
>> usual work style in OSGI, it is better to keep a packed file there. About
>> the inplace way, so far I could not see any way to deploy a folder to the
>> OSGI runtime. Currently, all the copying work is done by the implementations
>> of ResourceContext, each modulebuilder would be resposible for copying the
>> module files to the folder in the repository. An intuitive way is to provide
>> a new implementation for the ResourceContext, it would support to update the
>> packed file.
>>    Any comment before I try it ? I did not go through all the deployment
>> codes, something might be missed. ^_^
> I don't think we can support in-place deployment until after we figure out
> how to support direct use of bundles in our maven-like repo without copying
> them into the osgi structure.  I think about this sometimes but don't regard
> it as a high priority.

 I agree, for supporting in-place deployment, I guess that we might need to
extend mvn protocol handler or even Felix runtime.
Actually, I also checked the Karaf, as it said that it supports to deploy a
folder to the OSGI runtime. But it just packed the folder to a jar file,
then process the deployment, which it is not acceptable in my opinion.

> Can you be more specific about what doesn't work, and how you tried to
> deploy?  I didn't know any of the deploy commands worked enough to even
> start deployment.  If they do, It's not obvious to me what might be broken.
>  Does a packed bundle get created?  Does geroimo know how to tell osgi about
> it?
>  The command that I use is : deploy deploy sample.war. The exception that I
got is that
Unable to cache bundle: mvn:default/TestWeb2/1.0/car
error in opening zip file

at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.MainBridge.execute(
at org.apache.geronimo.main.Bootstrapper.execute(
at org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(
at org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(

This exception was thrown by Felix while starting the deployed bundle in
ConfigurationManager, which means TomcatBuilder had successfully configure
the web application. Although I am not sure the ConfigurationBuilder
behaviored correctly, the deployment process passed.

As I said in the last email, from the current trend I saw, we kept a packed
car file in the repository while building the server, so in the deployment
process, we might need to keep consistent, which means for each
modulebuilder, it does not need to copy those files in the module
installation, the only thing they need to do is just to update some files in
the packed file if required.

> thanks
> david jencks
>  --