geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Move dependencyManagment segment in framework/pom.xml to the root pom.xml
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 05:48:07 GMT

On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:51 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi,
>     I found some third-party bundle defintions are in the framework/
> pom.xml, Is there any reason to keep them there ? If not, I would
> suggest to move them to the root pom.xml file, so that all the
> plugins could refer to them.

To me this is a difficult question.  There are two plausible
alternatives:

1. move all dependency management for the entire project to the root
pom.

2. move all dependency management to either framework root pom or the
plugins root pom that introduces them, and use the <scope>import</
scope> in dependency management for other plugins that need the
dependency to import the pom that sets up the dependencyManagement..

2 depends on the very recent import scope feature, we could not have
done it for any 2.1 or earlier releases.

Arguments can definitely be made on both sides of this discussion.  At
the moment my thinking is that (1) promotes a monolithic project that
is difficult to split into independent modules that are assembled, and
that (2) promotes more modularity at the possible cost of making
dependency tracking slightly harder.  So, over the last few months
I've been moving towards (2), putting dependency management for e.g.
the imported jetty jars in the jetty8 root pom.

So, I'm in favor of gradually moving all the dependency management out
of the root pom.

thanks
david jencks