geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Web Profile Edition of the Java EE 6 standard ?
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:37:38 GMT

On Dec 2, 2009, at 6:14 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> as most of you know, the Java EE 6 is final and there is a Web Profile
> for it (see [1] for all its components).
>
> In Apache (fortunately) we (almost ([2])) all of the bits:
> -Apache Tomcat
> -Apache MyFaces
> -Apache OpenWebBean
> -Apache OpenEJB
> -etc
>
> So I wonder if it would be worth to go for a "Web Profile" edition of
> Apache Geronimo (or Tomcat,
> if they are looking for that).
>
> What do you think ?

EE6 Web Profile is absolutely in our plans. However, should note that we have had web profile-like
capabilities for sometime now...

We currently provide binary distributions of a "minimal" server (Servlet/JSP only) plus a
certified EE5 server. Also, Geronimo supports flexible server assemblies with customized server
functionality. So, you can generate servers which only contain the technologies that your
application(s) require. Much more dynamic than the static notion of "profiles".

We will be providing certified EE6 profile servers, but also be continuing our support for
custom server assemblies.

--kevan