geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Apache OpenEJB and Apache Geronimo
Date Sat, 26 Dec 2009 21:31:58 GMT

On Dec 23, 2009, at 11:24 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've been working with David B. in Apache OpenEJB.
> I'm a beginner with Apache Geronimo and i'd like to get inputs
> regarding the
> OpenEJB/Geronimo link.
>
> Actually, i did some bug fixes/enhancements in OpenEJB.
> Some of them has been pushed to Geronimo but some bugs are still in
> Geronimo.
>
> Moreover, i committed this morning some code to upgrade CXF to the
> latest
> available distribution. Part of those changes are already available in
> Geronimo.
>
> I'd like to dig into Geronimo so any feedback is welcome.

Generally all the code is under here:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/
openejb/

There is code elsewhere that pertains to OpenEJB, particularly in
regards to WebServices and CORBA.

Big focus on this particular class:

   http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/trunk/plugins/openejb/geronimo-openejb/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/openejb/OpenEjbSystemGBean.java

Let's see, where to start.  As you might expect Geronimo handles all
classloader creation, anything jms/connector/jdbc related. All
persistence unit creation with a bit of cooperation required to
support EXTENDED persistence contexts.  General deployment is handled
by Geronimo of course, with just EJB modules being handed to OpenEJB.

There's a bit of a touch point in JNDI with both Geronimo and OpenEJB
building a JNDI tree for each EJB -- the OpenEJB tree will for the
most part point to the Geronimo tree symlink style but contains extra
EJB Container provided things like EJBContext and so on.

There's a Geronimo implementation of the SecurityService interface
which is plugged in (see OpenEjbSystemGBean).

All client/server stuff is basically the same and unchanged.

That's a very generic response at least, no guarantees on
completeness :)

-David