On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

Currently, here are different opinions on how G3.0 shell should go:

1, Remove gshell completely, migrate all existing commands to karaf console.
     Pros:  Minimize the server size.  Bring a clean, easy to use command program model.

I'm not sure it's significantly different from gshell
"minimize" here is relative with the second option.   I did some investigation.  IMO,writing new karaf command is easier than writing new commands with current geronimo shell.
     Cons: Break users existing shell.
How?  If we give the commands the same name we can provide a unix shell script called gsh and any gshell scripts should still work....

I don't know how to use unix shell to pass parameters to karaf shell to execute tasks for now. I'll do more research on this to figure it out.

2, Keep gshell as it was, add a gshell-karaf bridge to call karaf commands in gshell.
     Pros:  Enlarge the server size. Bring a more complex command infrastructure.
     Cons: Without breaking users existing shell.

Does anyone have another thoughts on this ?  Maybe we need a vote for this someday.