geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rex Wang <rwo...@gmail.com>
Subject Eliminate the ConfigurationActivator from geronimo bundles?
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:17:00 GMT
IIUC, from the current design, the ConfigurationActivator will be imported
by *EVERY* geronimo plugin to help de-serialize the config.ser into
configurationData while starting. This might not be a best practise in doing
such things.
>From what I see, the extender model recommended by osgi allaince is a better
choice. That is the new Geronimo kernel can be considered as a Geronimo
extender to deal with geronimo bundles, which is fairly similar with the
relationship between blueprint extender and blueprint bundles. So if we
leverage a bundle tracker to track geronimo bundles, the bundle context and
resources(i.e. config.ser) can be easily retrieved when the bundle starting.
(Just like what dependencyManager does when install bundles. //But why read
geronimo-plugin.xml instead of config.ser there?) Then geronimo extender can
construct a configurationData from the config.ser of the geronimo bundle and
maintain a map of them. That is just the same with the blueprint extender
creating a bluepirntContainer object from OSGi-INF/blueprint/*.xml for each
blueprint bundle.
Did I miss anything or is there any particular difficulty so that we have to
use an activator? if not, I'd like to open a jira against it.

-Rex