geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Jiang <genspr...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] What technology will the Geronimo 3.0 use for its web console?
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:29:17 GMT
There were some voices on what technology the Geronimo 3.0 will use for its
web admin console. I list them here for discussion:

1, Change to Felix web console infrastructure.

Felix web console is based on http-service.  The developer need to write
servlet and register it as an OSGi service to contribute to the web
console.  Karaf is using felix console as its console. You can see [1] for
details on how to extend felix web console.   Is writing servlet to replace
current portlets in web console acceptable ?

2, Keep to portlet, but upgrading pluto 1 to pluto 2.

Pluto 2 supports JSR 286 and is backwards-compatible to JSR 186.  If we
upgrade pluto to 2.0,  it seems we don't need to change much existing
geronimo web console code. Pluto 2 provide many new JSR 286 features[2] like
publish/subscribe style asynchronous communication between portlets, public
render parameters, portlet filter support,  Resource Serving support,....

But IIUC, the major benifit to upgrate to pluto 2 is that we can use
Resource Serving to enable a native AJAX support in portlet.  I'm not sure
if other new features in pluto 2 can help with our web console for now.

3,     To start the web console over with JSF, wicket[3], or any other
framework.

A powerful framework can reduce the  programing/debug complexity that exists
in current web console infrastructure.  But there are risks to rewrite all
the existing page/portlet.  We might want to include one of them little by
little by introducing JSF portlet bridge[4], wicket portlet bridge, or other
bridges.

Personally, I perfer to upgrade to pluto 2 firstly, then we can see if we
can leverage a framework to reduce the programing complexity.  Any thoughts
?

[1] http://felix.apache.org/site/extending-the-apache-felix-web-console.html
[2]
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0803_hepper/0803_hepper.html