geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Shawn Jiang <genspr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:34:04 GMT
On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:12 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:
>
>  Currently, here are different opinions on how G3.0 shell should go:
>>
>> 1, Remove gshell completely, migrate all existing commands to karaf
>> console.
>>      Pros:  Minimize the server size.  Bring a clean, easy to use command
>> program model.
>>

> I'm not sure it's significantly different from gshell

"minimize" here is relative with the second option.   I did some
investigation.  IMO,writing new karaf command is easier than writing new
commands with current geronimo shell.

>      Cons: Break users existing shell.

How?  If we give the commands the same name we can provide a unix shell
> script called gsh and any gshell scripts should still work....
>
> I don't know how to use unix shell to pass parameters to karaf shell to
execute tasks for now. I'll do more research on this to figure it out.

>> 2, Keep gshell as it was, add a gshell-karaf bridge to call karaf commands
>> in gshell.
>>      Pros:  Enlarge the server size. Bring a more complex command
>> infrastructure.
>>      Cons: Without breaking users existing shell.
>>
>> Does anyone have another thoughts on this ?  Maybe we need a vote for this
>> someday.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Shawn Jiang <genspring@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which is
>> based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a set of
>> util abstract classes to provide a easy to use program model  for new
>> commands.
>>

>> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
>>        • bases on gshell
>>        • uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like
>> this)
>>        • uses classworld to bootstrap itself
>>

> these don't seem important to me

        • uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop
>> commands.
>>
>>        • uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
>> deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
>>        • uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide plugin
>> install and customized assemblely commands.
>>

> I think any replacement will do these the same way

yes, I just listed them here for references.

>> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has been
>> removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to migrate existing
>> geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
>>

> I figured we'd do it sooner or later....

Thanks, maybe that's why you added *shell-base* project to provide basic
util classes with karaf command.

--
Shawn