geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Ellen Tang <ltang.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about the "Create Plugin" portlet
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:03:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently reviewing the contents on the UI of the "Plugins" portlet in G
2.2 admin console. I have a question for the "Create Plugin" function.

As we can see, currently the drop-down list in the "Create Plugin" portlet
shows all the CAR files on the server, including system plugins that already
exist in the "%GERONIMO_HOME%\repository\" folder. For example, you can find
the plugin "org.apache.geronimo.configs/activemq-broker/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car" in
the directory
"%GERONIMO_HOME%\repository\org\apache\geronimo\configs\activemq-broker\2.2-SNAPSHOT",
which contains the "geronimo-plugin.xml" file already. However, according to
the "Help" contents of the "Create Plugin" portlet, the function of this
portlet is that "The console will generate the geronimo-plugin.xml file that
stores the plugin metadata information for your project and package it into
a car file."

My question is that do we really need to include the system plugins in the
drop-down list of the "Create Plugin" portlet? If the system plugins already
exist in the "%GERONIMO_HOME%\repository\" folder and they already have the
"geronimo-plugin.xml" file, the users would not need to use this "Create
Plugin" portlet to create these plugins again. Besides, this portlet doesn't
do anything else to the system plugins apart from exporting them as files,
which the users already have in the repository. Therefore, I think it's more
practical to only show the applications and/or application plugins in the
drop-down list of this portlet.

Does anyone think that it's a good idea to leave out the system plugins but
only keep the application plugins in this portlet? Maybe we can do that in
the 3.0 release?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Ellen