geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Re-categorize the items in navigation pane for G2.2
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 05:55:10 GMT
Hi Jeff,

This organization doesn't quite make sense to me.

I can see something like

 >App Server
info
java system info
server logs
shutdown
thread pools
web server
ejb server
jms server
DB info
DB Manager

 >Resources
Jar aliases
Respository
JMS Resources (why not under applications??)
Database pools (again, why not under applications?)

 >Applications
Deploy New
Plan Creator
Plugins
System Modules
Application Ears
Web App Wars
Ejb Jars
J2CA Connectors
App Clients

 >Security
Security Realms
Keystores
Certificate Authrotiry
Users and Groups (this is not useful for real apps since it only looks
at the default properties file security realm which hopefully no one
will ever use in production)

 >Monitoring
JMX Viewer
JNDI Viewere
Classloader viewer
Dependency Viewer
Monitoring
LDAP Viewer (We don't install ldap by default, and this is a pretty
weak app compared to e.g. ApacheDS Studio)

I'm not sure about
Apache HTTP since these are instructions that IIUC don't do anything
in the actual geronimo server.  I really don't know where to put them.

I've tried to put stuff in better categories (e.g. j2ca connectors are
applications) and to put the most important/ most likely to be used
choices first.

Since there is some question (at least from me) about a good order I'm
not sure if this should go in 2.2.  If you like what I suggest and no
one else objects I guess I'm OK with it but I'd also be OK with just
rearranging stuff in 3.0.

thanks
david jencks