geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Should we create a jee spec bundle for Geronimo?
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:15:21 GMT

On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> Working through the issues of getting openejb to build, I ran into a
> classloading constraint violation between the openejb javaee-api
> bundle that was getting pulled in as a dependency of openejb-ejbd.
> What the openejb project had done was create a bundle that pulled in
> all of the different geronimo jee spec implementations into a single
> uber jar.   This was fairly simple to add an exclusion to fix the
> problem at hand.
>
> But this got me to thinking...would it be a good idea for geronimo
> to create a similar jar and use that for the spec classes rather
> than pulling in all of the spec jars individually?  This might help
> avoid some of the conflicts we've been seeing on the spec
> implementation classes and simplify a few things.

I'd rather keep them separate and let people assemble servers that
don't have all the spec jars if they don't need all of them.  I'm not
sure how we'd reduce conflicts by having a single jar.  I think you'd
still need to add lots of maven exclusions just like you do now when
the wrong jar starts showing up.  Am I missing something?

thanks
david jencks