geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Discussion]Re-org admin console
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:22:18 GMT

On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:44 AM, chi runhua wrote:

> Hi all,
> Long time ago there was a discussion[1] on whether we could re-org
> admin console to improve user experiences for 2.2, which was
> cancelled for some reason, since we are now in the begining of big
> change of Geronimo architecture, I think it's a good opportunity
> that we bring this up and also for the coming 3.0 release.
>
>   [1]  http://old.nabble.com/-DISCUSS--Reorg-of-Admin-Console-for-2.2-td20628217s134.html
>
> Here are couples of thoughts in my mind to improve the console:
> 1. re-constructure the navigation tree to make it collapsible, the
> tree level should be less than 3;
> 2. re-orginize the avaliable tree items into new groups, for this
> one I'd like to vote +1 for what Jack had proposed in the previous
> thread;
>  + Servers
>   + Application Server
>    - Geronimo Kernel (put Information, Java System Info, Thread Pool
> and Shutdown portlets in the same page here)
>    - Web Server
>    - JMS Server
>    - EJB Server
>    - DB server
>    - Repository
>    - New server assembly
> + Applications
>  - Deploy New (Suggest to merge in the plan creator, so that users
> can either choose to use an existing plan file, or create a new one
> using the wizard)
>  - User applications (merge WAR, EAR and Client, maybe bundles in
> the 3.0?)
>  - Server plugins
> + Resources
>  - DB pools
>  - JMS resources
>  - JEE Connectors
>  - Jar Aliases
> + Security
>  - Users and Groups
>  - Keystores
>  - Certificate Authority
>  - Security Realms
> + Monitoring and Troubleshotting
>  - Monitoring
>  - Logs
>  - Debug Views
>
> 3. re-construct the available portlets to improve embedded
> assistance information, for example, show breadcrum when user is
> working on a task; reduce in-line text on the current UI, and use
> hover-help or pop-up help page only when necessary etc...
> 4. for the long list on the current UI such as system modules, only
> show the most frequently used ones, use locate/find to display
> more....
>
> Any comments?

These seem like basically good ideas to me.  I don't have time,
energy, or skill to do most of this work myself.  If I were to propose
some priorities for the admin console I would suggest getting it
running under osgi on pluto 2 and finding some way to make the code
simpler and easier to understand, perhaps by using a web programming
framework such as jsf or wicket. A long time ago some web experts also
suggested setting it up to use css in a more sophisticated way; this
sounded like a great idea to me but I didn't understand any of the
details.

thanks
david jencks