geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:12:35 GMT

On Nov 5, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Currently, here are different opinions on how G3.0 shell should go:
>
> 1, Remove gshell completely, migrate all existing commands to karaf
> console.
>       Pros:  Minimize the server size.  Bring a clean, easy to use
> command program model.

I'm not sure it's significantly different from gshell
>       Cons: Break users existing shell.
How?  If we give the commands the same name we can provide a unix
shell script called gsh and any gshell scripts should still work....

> 2, Keep gshell as it was, add a gshell-karaf bridge to call karaf
> commands in gshell.
>       Pros:  Enlarge the server size. Bring a more complex command
> infrastructure.
>       Cons: Without breaking users existing shell.
>
> Does anyone have another thoughts on this ?  Maybe we need a vote
> for this someday.
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Shawn Jiang <genspring@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell
> which is based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses
> blueprint and a set of util abstract classes to provide a easy to
> use program model  for new commands.
>

> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
> 	• bases on gshell
> 	• uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't like
> this)
> 	• uses classworld to bootstrap itself

these don't seem important to me
> 	• uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop
> commands.
> 	• uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
> deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
> 	• uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide plugin
> install and customized assemblely commands.

I think any replacement will do these the same way

> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has
> been removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to
> migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell
> in geronimo 3.0 ?

I figured we'd do it sooner or later....
thanks
david jencks

> --
> Shawn