geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Jay D. McHugh" <jaydmch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: osgi >> trunk
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 01:00:23 GMT
I have been trying to figure out exactly what an OSGi based application
server meant.  And how it would be implemented by Geronimo and how it
would be implemented by other server developers.

It seems (please correct me if I am wrong) that we are trying to put
Geronimo into an OSGi container.  But, as far as I can tell, other
server developers are "OSGi'ifying" their servers by putting an OSGi
container into them.

The direction that we are going seems like it will result in a superior
and far more flexible server that will allow for live updating of
components and all of the other good things that OSGi provides for.

But, we seem to be alone in having this direction.  So, I think that we
may end up being trailblazers in this.

Does anyone have a better understanding of what we are doing (or is my
assessment basically correct)?  Or, corrections to what I think the
other server developers (JBoss, Glassfish, etc) are doing?

Jay