geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there any plan to migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in geronimo 3.0 ?
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:39:19 GMT
Shawn Jiang wrote:
> Now we are using karaf as OSGI runtime. Karaf has its own shell which
> is based on RFC 139 command service.  Karaf shell uses blueprint and a
> set of util abstract classes to provide a easy to use program model
> for new commands.
>

> Geronimo 2.x has its own shell which
>
>     * bases on gshell
>     * uses groovy to define commands.(I don't kown why but I don't
>       like this)
>     * uses classworld to bootstrap itself
>     * uses a serverProxy to provide geronimo server startup/stop commands.
>     * uses JMX to invoke jsr88 implementation to provide applications
>       deploy/undeploy/distribution commands.
>     * uses JMX to get plugin installer GBean instance to provide
>       plugin install and customized assemblely commands.
>

> I found that all the gshell bootstrap files in geronimo_home/etc has
> been removed in geronimo 3.0 framework.   Is there any plan  to
> migrate existing geronimo shell commands from gshell to karaf shell in
> geronimo 3.0 ?
I don't believe there's any plan to migrate away from gshell to using
the karaf shell (at least yet).  I'm a little concerned about breaking
any custom commands/scripts that may have been written for prior
Geronimo releases, so there's a bit of a balancing act involved here.  I
suspect we might want to explore keeping the existing geronimo shell,
but see if it is possible for it to invoke commands built using the
Karaf infrastructure.  This would allow us to reuse existing Karaf
commands and allow new commands to be written using the Karaf
programming model.

Rick