geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Toplink plugin for geronimo
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:05:27 GMT

On Nov 15, 2009, at 10:08 AM, Fei LI wrote:

> Hi Kevan,
>
> This is a very good subject. I am an experienced Java/J2EE application developer but
only have the experience how to use a Web server, never develop a Web server.

Understood. Implementing an EE server is certainly different. However, "user" experience can
be very valuable in helping us to develop a more usable EE server.

> I can try. But I do not know how it can work out. So many things new to learn. If you
can find a supervisor for me, it would be awesome. He give me a direction and I implement
his idea. We can work together. It will be much fast than I act alone. How do you think?

Donald Woods is working on developing a plugin for OpenJPA 2.0. See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/plugins/openjpa2/branches

Geronimo currently uses OpenJPA 1.2.1 for EE 5 compliance. However, OpenJPA is working on
their JPA 2.0 support for EE6. This plugin would enable JPA 2.0 support in a Geronimo server.
So, it would be a good guide to identify what would need to be done to create an EclipseLink
plugin. Have a look and feel free to ask questions.

> Another topic I am very interested is concurrency programming. I made commercial one
8 years ago and people still use it, but I know it was not good one after I read the book
"Java Concurrency in practice". Now I believe I can do much, much better on this topic.

Cool. There's been Concurrency EE specs (Timer and Work Manager) floating around for a while.
I don't recall the JSR numbers offhand. The spec(s) didn't make it into EE6. IIRC, the two
specs may have been collapsed into 1 spec.

Jarek, had done some implementation work on a draft version of the spec. You'll find the current
implementation here -- http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/server/branches/2.2/plugins/concurrent/

--kevan