geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Will JSR-88 still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:14:01 GMT

On Nov 24, 2009, at 12:46 AM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> Currently, JSR-88 implementation are widely used by geronimo console
> and shell.  But, JSR-88 is not a part of Java EE 6 spec anymore,
> Will JSR-88 still be supported in Geronimo 3.0 ?
>
> Or we can replace JSR-88 with more elegant implementation to remove
> the extra abstract in JSR-88 ?

There are 2 parts to jsr-88, at least in my thinking

- remote deploy capabilities.  This is useful and I think the design
is adequate although not optimal.  I don't consider redesigning this a
high priority but if you have some ideas and some time I'd like to
know more.  I wouldn't mind keeping jsr-88 compatibility but this is
not really essential.

- vendor plan model (dconfigBeans).  These are pretty weird and
useless but we are using them in at least the database portlets to
generate plans.  Replacing all of our plan stuff with jaxb should let
us replace this too.  I hope we can get this done for g 3.0 but its
not currently my top priority.

Unless redesigning the jsr-88 stuff will make reimplementing in gogo a
lot easier I'd be tempted to concentrate on getting the existing
server to work with little redesign.

thanks
david jencks