geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: Toplink plugin for geronimo
Date Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:47:54 GMT
It should be worth it as something not shipped, but documented and available.

It will definitely open the door for Toplink apps to be ported to
Geronimo. Even though JPA is a spec not all providers act the same. I
had application written with Toplink and when I started building
OpenEJB unit tests I had to find a way to either get toplink working
in OpenEJB or modify the JPA code to support both. This is especially
true if you use non-JPA features. So having support for Toplink that
can be enabled by just loading a plugin will certainly make some
people happy.

Further, as I understand it, EclipseLink is the new versions of the
free Toplink (Toplink Essentials). It was renamed to EclipseLink. Then
you still get "Toplink" which is Oracle's enterprise grade JPA
provider with much more advanced features like clusters/grids/etc.

Quintin Beukes