geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How the dependencies of 3rd parties' bundles are managed ?
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 05:23:49 GMT

On Nov 15, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Hi,
>    The dependencies of Geronimo plugins are managed by
> DependencyManager, it will start all the dependent bundles before
> starting the plugin bundle. But how are dependencies of those 3rd
> parties' bundles managed ? For example, wadi-core needs to import
> some CGLIB's packages,  how does Geronimo make sure that cglib
> bundle is started before wadi-core ? In the schema of geronimo-
> plugin.xml, I found the dependencyType could still has depdency
> children list. Is this for that use ? But I did not find that
> DependencyManager handles it.

the dependency nesting is an unfortunate leftover from my attempt to
get a one-classloader-per-jar system to work.  I need to remove it
from trunk.

Only geronimo plugins include the geronimo-plugin.xml that the
dependency manager reads.  The car-maven-plugin is supposed to follow
maven transitive dependencies to fill this out so all required bundles
will be loaded.  The needed bundles are all supposed to end up as top
level dependencies in geronimo-plugin.xml.

Since many projects rely on jars that are not osgi bundles, we often
need to exclude the original dependencies in the dependencyManagement
for the 3rd party jar and explicitly include a suitable bundle as a
direct dependency in an appropriate pom.

hope this helps
david jencks