geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Lin Sun <linsun....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC 66 and Geronimo
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 02:02:41 GMT
Hi,   Please see comments below, Thanks

Lin

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Rick McGuire <rickmcg@gmail.com> wrote:
> For a  WAB deployment, the extender become involved after the bundle has
> been installed and started.  At this stage, there's no opportunity to modify
> the bundle contents.

You are right that the extender gets notified when the bundle is
already resolved and starting/started.   However, I wonder if we want
to modify the bundle contents through another URL handler like the
webbundle url handler defined by RFC 66.   I think RFC 66 mentions
that the web bundle url handler should work with other url handlers.
For example, we can have a geronimo specific url handler that handles
the modifying of the bundle content to add Geronimo specific
configurations during the installation of the bundle (when
BundleContext.installBundle is invoked) and leverage the webbundle url
handler from the Apache Aries project to do the manifest generation
for the WAR to WAB conversion.

> Additionally, there is an RFC 66 requirement that if
> the bundle uses lazy activation, the bundle should not get activated until
> the first request for a servlet instance occurs (i.e., no class loading
> requests until deployment).

I don't think the RFC mandates that, because it is the wording
"should" that is used here, instead of "must".  There was someone from
Sun that required the "must" to be removed from the rfc IIRC.