geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: osgi >> trunk
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 19:15:00 GMT

On Oct 18, 2009, at 5:10 AM, Quintin Beukes wrote:

> What exactly will be the affect OSGi will have on Geronimo?

We don't know yet.  We hope it will make classloading simpler and
generally make everything more flexible and interoperable.

> Will it simply replace the plugin architecture?

Hard to tell.  We might decide to just use blueprint, but I think that
would really change or eliminate the deployers and make all the work
they do happen each time you start the apps' bundles.  Right now we
have more lifecycle states in plugins than are easily accessible in
blueprint.  I want to get the server working before deciding what to
do about this.

Felix/karaf has a "feature" idea which is kind of like our transitive
dependency installation via geronimo-plugin.xml, but doesn't include
the extracting of resources from bundles.  Maybe we can enhance their
idea so we can use it.  Also,  AFAICT they don't have an idea of
artifact-aliases.  Again, maybe they'd like our idea.

> And how will it, if at all, affect gbeans?

At the moment we are keeping gbeans pretty much the same as before,
although there a a couple new special attributes, namely Bundle and
BundleContext, that you can get injected automatically.  We definitely
need more osgi integration in some way.  Two possibilities that I know
of are:

-- keep gbeans, and provide a way to expose them as osgi services via
an annotation and/or GBeanInfo flag.
-- drop gbeans and move everything over to blueprint.

I don't think I know enough about osgi and blueprint to say what
direction we should go in yet.

thanks
david jencks