geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: osgi progress
Date Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:16:11 GMT

On Oct 12, 2009, at 5:36 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> I only have a minute so can't address anything in detail right now.
>>
>> Most of the servicemix bundle dependencies can probably be on
>> released versions.  I went for speed and used the ones from my
>> checked out servicemix trunk in case I needed to patch them.
>>
>> I don't think we need the geronimo plexus bundles I set up --
>> although we do need to find some solution for accessing the code or
>> not using it at all.
>>
>> What are the testsuite errors you get?  It would be useful to find
>> out if they are windows specific.  Similarly it would be great to
>> find out if anyone else can build on a non-windows system :-)
> I took a little deeper look at the deployment test case errors I'm
> getting.  The root cause of the failure is this exception:
>
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: id must be in the
> form [groupId]/[artifactId]/[version]/[type] : C:\jencks\g\framework
> \modules\geronimo-deployment\target\deployTest
>       at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.repository.Artifact.create(Artifact.java:
> 61)
>       at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.repository.Artifact.create(Artifact.java:
> 51)
>       at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .kernel.osgi.MockBundleContext.installBundle(MockBundleContext.java:
> 106)
>       at
> org
> .apache
> .geronimo
> .deployment
> .DeploymentContext.createTempConfiguration(DeploymentContext.java:208)
>       ... 28 more
>

> Since this is failing just calling bundleContext.installBundle() in
> the MockBundleContext code, I suspect I'm not running under karaf.
> Have I missed some setup step somewhere?

Karaf is not used during the build: the car-maven-plugin fires up
felix and attempts to let all the classes known to the maven plugin be
exposed from the felix framework.

I don't see why this error would be occurring but another task I think
I forgot to mention would be using the ops4j maven urls in the build
to load bundles rather than the file system locations I'm
constructing.  This might sidestep the problem you are seeing.  I
really don't understand how you could get it and me not see it....

thanks
david jencks

> Rick
>

>> thanks
>> david jencks

>>> This one word is starting to remind me of the famous Sydney Harris
>>> cartoon:
>>>
>>> http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
>>>
>>> I've had a few issues getting this to build, so I thought I'd
>>> capture the notes here for the benefit of others.  Some of these
>>> we can fix in the build, others are things that need to be
>>> accounted for before building.  A major problem is getting all of
>>> the dependencies into your maven repository so the build can work.
>>>
>>> 1)  servicemix bundles.  In addition to the patch that David
>>> provided, you need to checkout and build the servicemix bundles
>>> from:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/bundles/trunk
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the root pom for servicemix does not build all of
>>> the subprojects.  Many of the ones that are skipped are required
>>> by Geronimo and need to be built individually.  This list includes:
>>>
>>> jaxb-impl-2.1.6
>>> xmlbeans-2.4.0  (NOTE:  this builds 2.4.0_3-SNAPSHOT, but the
>>> dependency is currently 2.4.0_2-SNAPSHOT.  The Geronimo pom needs
>>> to be adjusted).
>>> woodstox-3.2.8
>>> jline-0.9.94
>>>
>>> The framework builds additional bundlized versions of
>>> dependencies, but at the moment, they are not included in the
>>> build.  The subprojects are located in framework/bundles, but
>>> there's no root pom that builds all of these, so each subproject
>>> needs to be built individually.  There are some dependencies
>>> between these subprojects.  For example, plexus-archiver depends
>>> on plexus-utils, so plexus-utils needs to be built first.
>>> Unfortunately, plexus-utils is building version 1.5.15_1-SNAPSHOT,
>>> and plexus-archiver has a dependency on 1.4.5_-SNAPSHOT.  plexus-
>>> utils exports a 1.4.5 level of the packages, so I'm guessing this
>>> was intended to be 1.4.5_1-SNAPSHOT, so the POM needs adjusting.
>>>
>>> Once I've done the steps above, I get some test failures in
>>> geronimo-kernel.  If I try to build with tests turned off, then I
>>> get the following failure:
>>>
>>> 1) org.apache.geronimo.framework:geronimo-kernel:jar:tests:3.0-
>>> SNAPSHOT
>>>
>>> Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
>>>
>>> Then, install it using the command:
>>>    mvn install:install-file -
>>> DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.framework -Dartifac
>>> tId=geronimo-kernel -Dversion=3.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=tests -
>>> Dpackaging=jar -D
>>> file=/path/to/file
>>>
>>> most likely the result of the test failures.   The test failures
>>> don't make much sense to me, but this might be a Windows-specific
>>> problem with normalizing URLs.  If I comment out the assertions
>>> that are failing, I'm able to get geronimo-kernel to build, but
>>> get test failures in other projects.  Now, however, disabling the
>>> tests appears to work.
>>>
>>> This gets me to errors with the dependency history checks because
>>> in the change to the xmlbeans dependency.  This requires deleting
>>> all of the history files to continue on.
>>>
>>> Ok, once I get past all of that, I get a whole series of errors
>>> that I don't know how to get around.  I'm pretty much stuck here,
>>> but I'll go back and look at the geronimo-kernel test failures and
>>> see if I can figure out what's going on there.  Here are the
>>> errors I see:
>>>
>>> [INFO] [car:update-pluginlist]
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] Building Geronimo Framework, Configs :: Plugin Management
>>> [INFO]    task-segment: [install]
>>> [INFO]
>>> [INFO] [genesis:validate-configuration {execution: default}]
>>> [INFO] [enforcer:enforce {execution: default}]
>>> [INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
>>> [INFO] [dependency:unpack {execution: default}]
>>> [INFO] [resources:resources]
>>> [INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
>>> [INFO] Copying 1 resource
>>> [INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory C:\jencks\g\framework
>>> \configs\plugin\
>>> src\main\filtered-resources
>>> [INFO] Copying 3 resources
>>> [INFO] [car:validate-configuration]
>>> [INFO] [car:prepare-plan]
>>> [INFO] Generated: C:\jencks\g\framework\configs\plugin\target\work
>>> \plan.xml
>>> [INFO] [car:verify-no-dependency-change]
>>> [INFO] [car:prepare-metadata]
> [...]
>>>      at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:
>>> 336)
>>>      at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
>>>      at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:301)
>>>      at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>>>      at
>>> sun
>>> .reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.
>>> java:39)
>>>      at
>>> sun
>>> .reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
>>> sorImpl.java:25)
>>>      at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>>>      at
>>> org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:315)
>>>      at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:255)
>>>      at
>>> org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:
>>> 430)
>>>
>>>      at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
>>> ERROR: Error starting reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache
>>> \geronimo\fra
>>> mework\geronimo-gbean-deployer-bootstrap\3.0-SNAPSHOT\geronimo-
>>> gbean-deployer-bo
>>> otstrap-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car (org.osgi.framework.BundleException:
>>> Activator start er
>>> ror in bundle org.apache.geronimo.framework.geronimo-gbean-
>>> deployer-bootstrap [1
>>> ].)
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException: Specified service reference cannot
>>> be null.
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContext
>>> Impl.java:320)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.osgi.ConfigurationActivator.start(Configur
>>> ationActivator.java:46)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
>>> ion.java:639)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1700)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1622)
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:
>>> 1077)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:
>>> 264
>>> )
>>>      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>>> ERROR: Error starting reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache
>>> \geronimo\fra
>>> mework\rmi-naming\3.0-SNAPSHOT\rmi-naming-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car
>>> (org.osgi.framework.B
>>> undleException: Activator start error in bundle
>>> i-naming [38].)
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException: Specified service reference cannot
>>> be null.
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContext
>>> Impl.java:320)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.osgi.ConfigurationActivator.start(Configur
>>> ationActivator.java:46)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
>>> ion.java:639)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1700)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1622)
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:
>>> 1077)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:
>>> 264
>>> )
>>>      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>>> 07:52:08,671 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting;
>>> GBean is now in th
>>> e FAILED state: abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAP
>>> SHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/
>>> 3.0-SNAPSHOT/ca
>>> r,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo"
> [...]
>>> :276)
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:
>>> 96)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:
>>> 61)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanI
>>> nstance.java:915)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart
>>> (GBeanInstanceState.java:269)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta
>>> nceState.java:103)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(G
>>> BeanInstanceState.java:125)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanI
>>> nstance.java:542)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(Basi
>>> cKernel.java:385)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
>>> nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:459)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.loadBootstrapConf
>>> iguration(ConfigurationUtil.java:216)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.system.osgi.BootActivator.start(BootActivator.jav
>>> a:83)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
>>> ion.java:639)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1700)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1622)
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:
>>> 1077)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:
>>> 264
>>> )
>>>      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>>> ERROR: Error starting reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache
>>> \geronimo\fra
>>> mework\j2ee-system\3.0-SNAPSHOT\j2ee-system-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car
>>> (org.osgi.framework
>>> .BundleException: Activator start error in bundle
>>> j2ee-system [39].)
>>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.InvalidConfigException: Unknown
>>> start exceptio
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
>>> nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:521)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.loadBootstrapConf
>>> iguration(ConfigurationUtil.java:216)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.system.osgi.BootActivator.start(BootActivator.jav
>>> a:83)
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
>>> ion.java:639)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1700)
>>>      at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:
>>> 1622)
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:
>>> 1077)
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:
>>> 264
>>> )
>>>      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>>> Caused by:
>>> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.InvalidConfigurationException:
>>> Configuratio
>>> n org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car
>>> failed to start due
>>> to the following reasons:
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did not start because NO
>>> karaf.home specif
>>> ied
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=Repository,name=Repository did not start because
>>> org.apache.gero
>>> nimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.fr
>>> amework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did not star
>>> t.
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=ConfigurationStore,name=Local did not start
>>> because org.apache.g
>>> eronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo
>>> .framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=Repository,name=Repository did
>>> not start.
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=AttributeStore,name=AttributeManager did not start
>>> because org.a
>>> pache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.g
>>> eronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo di
>>> d not start.
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=ArtifactResolver,name=ArtifactResolver did not
>>> start because org
>>> .apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache
>>> .geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo
>>> did not start.
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=ConfigurationManager,name=ConfigurationManager did
>>> not start bec
>>> ause the following dependent services did not start:
>>> [org.apache.geronimo.framew
>>> ork/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2e
>>> e-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=AttributeStore,name=AttributeManager, org.apa
>>> che.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.ger
>>> onimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/
>>> car,j2eeType=ArtifactResolver,name=Arti
>>> factResolver]
>>> The service ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-
>>> system/3.0-SNAPSH
>>> OT/car,j2eeType=SystemLog,name=Logger did not start because
>>> org.apache.geronimo.
>>> framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?
>>> ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framewo
>>> rk/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did
>>> not start.
>>>
>>>      at
>>> org
>>> .apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
>>> nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:487)
>>>      ... 8 more
>>> [INFO] Started deployer: org.apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-
>>> gbean-deployer-b
>>> ootstrap/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car
>>> 07:52:09,187 INFO  [DeploymentContext] The Strict Manifest
>>> Classpath processing
>>> mode is in effect.
>>> This option can be altered by specifying -
>>> DXorg.apache.geronimo.deployment.Lenie
>>> ntMFCP=true|false
>>> Specify ="true" for more lenient processing such as ignoring
>>> missing jars and re
>>> ferences that are not spec compliant.
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] found geronimo-plugin.xml
>>> for bundle org.
>>> apache.geronimo.framework.plugin-DEPLOYMENT [55]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.geronimo.framework/rmi-naming/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jaxb-impl/
>>> 2.1.6_1/jar:AL
>>> L]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.specs.activation-
>>> api-1.1/1.4-SNAPS
>>> HOT/jar:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.woodstox/
>>> 3.2.8_1-SNAPSHO
>>> T/jar:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.geronimo.bundles/slf4j/1.5.5_1-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-plugin/3.0-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
>>> 07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
>>> DependencyType [org.
>>> apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec/1.1-
>>> SNAPSHOT/jar:AL
>>> L]
>>> 07:52:09,250 WARN  [DependencyManager] Could not start bundle:
>>> org.apache.geroni
>>> mo.framework.rmi-naming [38]