geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: osgi progress
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2009 11:55:58 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> I changed the url scheme so we always use pax maven urls for
> everything in the geronimo repository, and now I can get, with some
> work, all the plugin bundles to start as bundles.  However they mostly
> don't start as plugins (i.e., no gbeans start).  I haven't figured out
> why yet.
>
> How to get it to "run":
>
> build
This one word is starting to remind me of the famous Sydney Harris cartoon:

http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php

I've had a few issues getting this to build, so I thought I'd capture
the notes here for the benefit of others.  Some of these we can fix in
the build, others are things that need to be accounted for before
building.  A major problem is getting all of the dependencies into your
maven repository so the build can work.

1)  servicemix bundles.  In addition to the patch that David provided,
you need to checkout and build the servicemix bundles from:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/servicemix/smx4/bundles/trunk

Unfortunately, the root pom for servicemix does not build all of the
subprojects.  Many of the ones that are skipped are required by Geronimo
and need to be built individually.  This list includes:

jaxb-impl-2.1.6
xmlbeans-2.4.0  (NOTE:  this builds 2.4.0_3-SNAPSHOT, but the dependency
is currently 2.4.0_2-SNAPSHOT.  The Geronimo pom needs to be adjusted).
woodstox-3.2.8
jline-0.9.94

The framework builds additional bundlized versions of dependencies, but
at the moment, they are not included in the build.  The subprojects are
located in framework/bundles, but there's no root pom that builds all of
these, so each subproject needs to be built individually.  There are
some dependencies between these subprojects.  For example,
plexus-archiver depends on plexus-utils, so plexus-utils needs to be
built first.  Unfortunately, plexus-utils is building version
1.5.15_1-SNAPSHOT, and plexus-archiver has a dependency on
1.4.5_-SNAPSHOT.  plexus-utils exports a 1.4.5 level of the packages, so
I'm guessing this was intended to be 1.4.5_1-SNAPSHOT, so the POM needs
adjusting.

Once I've done the steps above, I get some test failures in
geronimo-kernel.  If I try to build with tests turned off, then I get
the following failure:

1) org.apache.geronimo.framework:geronimo-kernel:jar:tests:3.0-SNAPSHOT

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=org.apache.geronimo.framework
-Dartifac
tId=geronimo-kernel -Dversion=3.0-SNAPSHOT -Dclassifier=tests
-Dpackaging=jar -D
file=/path/to/file

most likely the result of the test failures.   The test failures don't
make much sense to me, but this might be a Windows-specific problem with
normalizing URLs.  If I comment out the assertions that are failing, I'm
able to get geronimo-kernel to build, but get test failures in other
projects.  Now, however, disabling the tests appears to work.

This gets me to errors with the dependency history checks because in the
change to the xmlbeans dependency.  This requires deleting all of the
history files to continue on.

Ok, once I get past all of that, I get a whole series of errors that I
don't know how to get around.  I'm pretty much stuck here, but I'll go
back and look at the geronimo-kernel test failures and see if I can
figure out what's going on there.  Here are the errors I see:

[INFO] [car:update-pluginlist]
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Geronimo Framework, Configs :: Plugin Management
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
[INFO] [genesis:validate-configuration {execution: default}]
[INFO] [enforcer:enforce {execution: default}]
[INFO] [remote-resources:process {execution: default}]
[INFO] [dependency:unpack {execution: default}]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] Using 'UTF-8' encoding to copy filtered resources.
[INFO] Copying 1 resource
[INFO] skip non existing resourceDirectory
C:\jencks\g\framework\configs\plugin\
src\main\filtered-resources
[INFO] Copying 3 resources
[INFO] [car:validate-configuration]
[INFO] [car:prepare-plan]
[INFO] Generated: C:\jencks\g\framework\configs\plugin\target\work\plan.xml
[INFO] [car:verify-no-dependency-change]
[INFO] [car:prepare-metadata]
[INFO] [car:package]
[INFO] Packaging module configuration:
C:\jencks\g\framework\configs\plugin\targ
et\work\plan.xml
ERROR: Error creating archive. (java.io.IOException: Referenced file
does not ex
ist:
C:\jencks\g\framework\configs\plugin\target\repository\org\apache\geronimo\
framework\plugin\3.0-SNAPSHOT\plugin-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car)
java.io.IOException: Referenced file does not exist:
C:\jencks\g\framework\confi
gs\plugin\target\repository\org\apache\geronimo\framework\plugin\3.0-SNAPSHOT\pl
ugin-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.createRevisionFromLoca
tion(BundleArchive.java:994)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.revise(BundleArchive.j
ava:631)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.<init>(BundleArchive.j
ava:206)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.getArchives(BundleCache.
java:149)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.init(Felix.java:558)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.start(Felix.java:683)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.AbstractCarMojo.getFramework(Abs
tractCarMojo.java:771)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PackageMojo.createKernel(Package
Mojo.java:360)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PackageMojo.buildPackage(Package
Mojo.java:294)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PackageMojo.execute(PackageMojo.
java:234)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:453)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:559)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLi
fecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:500)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(Defau
ltLifecycleExecutor.java:479)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHan
dleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:331)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmen
ts(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:292)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:142)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:336)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:129)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at

ERROR: Error starting
reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache\geronimo\fra
mework\geronimo-gbean-deployer-bootstrap\3.0-SNAPSHOT\geronimo-gbean-deployer-bo
otstrap-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator
start er
ror in bundle
org.apache.geronimo.framework.geronimo-gbean-deployer-bootstrap [1
].)
java.lang.NullPointerException: Specified service reference cannot be null.
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.getService(BundleContext
Impl.java:320)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.osgi.ConfigurationActivator.start(Configur
ationActivator.java:46)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
ion.java:639)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1700)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1622)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1077)

        at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:264
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
ERROR: Error starting
reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache\geronimo\fra
mework\rmi-naming\3.0-SNAPSHOT\rmi-naming-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car
(org.osgi.framework.B
undleException: Activator start error in bundle
org.apache.geronimo.framework.rm
i-naming [38].)
[...]

07:52:08,671 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is
now in th
e FAILED state:
abstractName="org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAP
SHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/ca
r,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo"
java.lang.IllegalStateException: NO karaf.home specified
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.serverinfo.BasicServerInfo.<init>(BasicSer
verInfo.java:83)
Method)

        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstruct
orAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC
onstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
        at
org.apache.xbean.recipe.ReflectionUtil$ConstructorFactory.create(Refl
ectionUtil.java:952)
        at
org.apache.xbean.recipe.ObjectRecipe.internalCreate(ObjectRecipe.java
:276)
        at
org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:96)

        at
org.apache.xbean.recipe.AbstractRecipe.create(AbstractRecipe.java:61)

        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanI
nstance.java:915)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart
(GBeanInstanceState.java:269)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta
nceState.java:103)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(G
BeanInstanceState.java:125)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanI
nstance.java:542)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(Basi
cKernel.java:385)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:459)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.loadBootstrapConf
iguration(ConfigurationUtil.java:216)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.osgi.BootActivator.start(BootActivator.jav
a:83)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
ion.java:639)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1700)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1622)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1077)

        at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:264
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
ERROR: Error starting
reference:file://c:\.m2\repository\org\apache\geronimo\fra
mework\j2ee-system\3.0-SNAPSHOT\j2ee-system-3.0-SNAPSHOT.car
(org.osgi.framework
.BundleException: Activator start error in bundle
org.apache.geronimo.framework.
j2ee-system [39].)
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.InvalidConfigException: Unknown start
exceptio
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:521)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.loadBootstrapConf
iguration(ConfigurationUtil.java:216)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.osgi.BootActivator.start(BootActivator.jav
a:83)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
ion.java:639)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1700)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1622)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1077)

        at
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl.run(StartLevelImpl.java:264
)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.gbean.InvalidConfigurationException:
Configuratio
n org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car failed to
start due
 to the following reasons:
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did not start because NO
karaf.home specif
ied
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=Repository,name=Repository did not start because
org.apache.gero
nimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.fr
amework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did
not star
t.
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=ConfigurationStore,name=Local did not start because
org.apache.g
eronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo
.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=Repository,name=Repository
did
not start.
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=AttributeStore,name=AttributeManager did not start
because org.a
pache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.g
eronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo
di
d not start.
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=ArtifactResolver,name=ArtifactResolver did not start
because org
.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache
.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo
did not start.
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=ConfigurationManager,name=ConfigurationManager did not
start bec
ause the following dependent services did not start:
[org.apache.geronimo.framew
ork/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2e
e-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=AttributeStore,name=AttributeManager,
org.apa
che.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.ger
onimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=ArtifactResolver,name=Arti
factResolver]
  The service
ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSH
OT/car,j2eeType=SystemLog,name=Logger did not start because
org.apache.geronimo.
framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car?ServiceModule=org.apache.geronimo.framewo
rk/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=GBean,name=ServerInfo did not
start.

        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio
nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:487)
        ... 8 more
[INFO] Started deployer:
org.apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-gbean-deployer-b
ootstrap/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car
07:52:09,187 INFO  [DeploymentContext] The Strict Manifest Classpath
processing
mode is in effect.
This option can be altered by specifying
-DXorg.apache.geronimo.deployment.Lenie
ntMFCP=true|false
Specify ="true" for more lenient processing such as ignoring missing
jars and re
ferences that are not spec compliant.
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] found geronimo-plugin.xml for
bundle org.
apache.geronimo.framework.plugin-DEPLOYMENT [55]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.geronimo.framework/rmi-naming/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jaxb-impl/2.1.6_1/jar:AL
L]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.servicemix.specs/org.apache.servicemix.specs.activation-api-1.1/1.4-SNAPS
HOT/jar:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.woodstox/3.2.8_1-SNAPSHO
T/jar:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.geronimo.bundles/slf4j/1.5.5_1-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.geronimo.framework/geronimo-plugin/3.0-SNAPSHOT/jar:ALL]
07:52:09,234 INFO  [DependencyManager] installing artifact:
DependencyType [org.
apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-javaee-deployment_1.1MR3_spec/1.1-SNAPSHOT/jar:AL
L]
07:52:09,250 WARN  [DependencyManager] Could not start bundle:
org.apache.geroni
mo.framework.rmi-naming [38]
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Activator start error in bundle
org.apache.g
eronimo.framework.rmi-naming [38].
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1751)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:1622)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:915)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleImpl.start(BundleImpl.java:902)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.DependencyManager.installed(
DependencyManager.java:97)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.DependencyManager.bundleChan
ged(DependencyManager.java:70)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.EventDispatcher.invokeBundleListenerC
allback(EventDispatcher.java:800)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.EventDispatcher.fireEventImmediately(
EventDispatcher.java:728)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.EventDispatcher.fireBundleEvent(Event
Dispatcher.java:610)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.fireBundleEvent(Felix.java:3576)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.installBundle(Felix.java:2478)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.installBundle(Felix.java:2277)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleCont
extImpl.java:130)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleCont
extImpl.java:108)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.DeploymentContext.createTempConfigurat
ion(DeploymentContext.java:208)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.DeploymentContext.initializeConfigurat
ion(DeploymentContext.java:174)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.buildConf
iguration(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:249)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.buildConf
iguration(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:209)
        at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:257)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(Refl
ectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperatio
n.java:131)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.
java:854)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:
245)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PackageMojo.invokeDeployer(Packa
geMojo.java:517)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.mavenplugins.car.PackageMojo.buildPackage(Package
Mojo.java:337)
[...]

Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.LifecycleException: load of
org.apa
che.geronimo.framework/rmi-naming/3.0-SNAPSHOT/car failed
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.loadConf
iguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:386)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.loadConf
iguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:323)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.osgi.ConfigurationActivator.start(Configur
ationActivator.java:55)
        at
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.startActivator(SecureAct
ion.java:639)
        at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.activateBundle(Felix.java:1700)
        ... 47 more
Caused by: org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.InvalidConfigException:
Cound not f
ind parent configuration:
org.apache.geronimo.framework/j2ee-system/3.0-SNAPSHOT
/car
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.getConfi
guration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:485)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.addDepth
FirstServiceParents(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:455)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.buildAll
ServiceParents(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:442)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.load(Ker
nelConfigurationManager.java:157)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.loadConf
iguration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:369)
        ... 51 more
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] could not package plugin

Embedded error: Unable to create configuration for deployment:
dependencies: nul
Cound not find parent configuration:
org.apache.geronimo.framework/rmi-naming/3.
0-SNAPSHOT/car
[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 2 minutes 34 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Oct 09 07:52:09 EDT 2009
[INFO] Final Memory: 107M/254M
[INFO]
C:\jencks\g\framework>