geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC 66 and Geronimo
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2009 09:43:08 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> [...]
>>> overrides. (actually the annotation processing generates xml, which
>>> is then processed into the data in the holder).

>>> Those look to me like they are all related to geronimo specific web
>>> app configuration, and I don't see any way to process that without
>>> using the TomcatModuleBuilder.  Since it's all optional, I'm not
>>> sure there would be a problem leaving it out.
>>
>> It certainly was easy to leave out.  The one specific one that
>> worried me was TomcatRealm.

>>> I'm not sure if this would be a significantly different approach to
>>> what you have been considering, but I wonder if this might fit
>>> better with the sandbox osgi framework changes.  There I have
>>> ConfigurationActivator that reads the config.ser out of the bundle
>>> into a ConfigurationData and calls some methods on configuration
>>> manager to install it and start stuff up.  I wonder if the extender
>>> you are contemplating could call the appropriate deployers to
>>> generate the ConfigurationData directly and then call the same
>>> ConfigurationManager methods.  This would probably require some
>>> modification to DeploymentContext which currently constructs a
>>> temporary bundle to load the classes needed by the deployers.  Here,
>>> we already have the bundle.  I would expect that this kind of
>>> approach would work for any ee app that has been packed into a form
>>> that can be loaded as a bundle: I think this means basically that
>>> there is only one level of jar nesting rather than the 3 levels
>>> possible in an ee app (jar in rar in ear).
>> RFC 66 is specifically for creating OSGi aware web bundles, so it
>> assumes an OSGi way of doing things.  Since this is a standardized
>> format, there's no real opportunity to preprocess the bundle into
>> another form.  The processing needs to be that the extender reacts to
>> the bundle getting started and processes manifest and web.xml data in
>> the bundle to deploy it the container.
>> Based on what I've seen so far, this is doable, except for a few
>> difficulties such as the sorting out the security and initial context
>> configurations.
>
> Right.  The deployers currently basically copy the contents of the ee
> app into the config, unpacking stuff so its accessible to our
> classloaders, and then construct a bunch of gbean configurations which
> they put into a ConfigurationData object which then gets serialized,
> also into the config.  I'm suggesting that, if we're lucky, the first
> step of copying stuff won't be necessary since osgi can already get at
> everything in one of these bundles, and if we don't have an
> opportunitly to store the configuration data we can just generate it
> on each startup.  Therefore the extender could call the middle step of
> constructing the ConfigurationData object, and then just use the
> ConfigurationManager to start it.  I would like to look around and see
> if there's some way to store the constructed ConfigurationData so we
> don't have to redeploy the app each time it's started.
The framework allocates a persistent data area associated with installed
bundles, so there is a location where we might store such information.
That same area is the recommended work area for the container to store
compiled JSPs.

> Hopefully this makes a little more sense....
Yes, I think I understand what you're suggesting now.  Now I just need
to learn enough details about to actually try implementing it.