geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Quintin Beukes <quin...@skywalk.co.za>
Subject Re: Wiki link to current version page
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2009 15:19:30 GMT
The 2.2 docs are on google. In fact, all the versions are there. By
default it only lists 1/2 similar pages, and the rest can be viewed by
clicking on the "more results" link.

>From what I could see on the pages, the reason 1.1 docs are listed
first is an SEO issue, in that the 1.1 docs contain the word Geronimo
more, and has a ranked page linking to it. To host all the
documentation online would make a for a major SEO task added onto the
list. Maybe the best would be to add the old docs into an "archive"
(another domain would be best), link into the archive, and have only
the latest docs actually stored on the xwiki.apache.org domain. I
don't know if this is possible, but it should definitely clear up the
documentation issue.

If you're unlucky the archive ends up ranking higher than the original
and you're back to where you started, though I think that would be
unlikely if there is a link trail to Geronimo from the xwiki root, and
back up wards (and the same for all apps). This should keep the rank
tree farely high, and an archive would be unlikely to overtake it.

I'm no SEO expert, so this might not be the best advice, but it would
be what I would have done.

Quintin Beukes