On Sep 3, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

I've slightly enhanced what you did.
Mostly, I've added the following lines:

                        <Import-Package>!org.apache.geronimo.connector*,*</Import-Package>
                        <_versionpolicy>[$(version;==;$(@)),$(version;+;$(@)))</_versionpolicy>

The first line is to ensure that the bundle won't import the package it exports.  Such a thing is ok for an api, but not for an implementation / library as you certainly don't want to use classes from another version of the bundle.

I'm confused by this.  I've never seen anyone else claim that not importing everything that is exported is a good idea and definitely thought the best and highly recommended practice was to always import everything you export.  Do other people agree with you on this?  What problems would arise if we imported everything that was exported?

The second line makes sure the version uses ranges by default such as [2.1,3.0), meaning any version >= 2.1 and < 3.0.  This assume backward compatibility between minor releases.  FWIW, if you don't put anything, it would be [2.1,), meaning anything >= 2.1.

For the javax.resource package, it can't really be optional, as the GeronimoTransactionManager implements javax.resource.spi.XATerminator.

Agreed.
If we want to not import this package, we could add this only class to the bundle and not export the package.  That would mean the maven dependency could be removed altogether ...

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  Wouldn't it result in a split package?  If we wanted to avoid requiring the import then perhaps we should have another txmanager class that doesn't claim to implement XATerminator.  At this point I'm happy keeping the import.

thanks
david jencks