geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Donate Blueprint implementation to Aries podling
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:58:28 GMT

On Sep 23, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Some time ago, a few Geronimo committers have started an
> implementation of the OSGi Blueprint Services spec, which is basically
> an OSGi standardized version of Spring-DM (the next version of
> Spring-DM being the RI of this spec).
> The code was developed at Geronimo mostly because the people that were
> interested in doing so were all Geronimo committers, so it was way
> easier to set that up inside Geronimo.  However, the piece of code
> does not really fit well in Geronimo, as it has nothing to do with
> JEE.

If Geronimo were using Blueprint, then Blueprint could fit just fine
in Geronimo. By your argument, Geronimo should not implement any
component that isn't part of an EE spec -- which I think we all agree
is not true...

That said, it looks like Aries would also be a good home for
Blueprint. If you and Jarek would prefer to work there (you two seem
to have done most of the work), then you have my support. Since
Geronimo will be consuming Blueprint, I expect that we'll have
receptive ears as Geronimo identifies problems/requirements in the
Blueprint implementation...

If Aries Incubation doesn't work out, for some reason, we can always
pull Blueprint back in (or consume from another project, if moved
elsewhere...).

--kevan