geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Server farm management based on plugins
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 01:19:56 GMT

On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:25 AM, viola lu wrote:

> Hi, David:
>  According to jira https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/
> GERONIMO-4284, there should be a FarmComand.groovy file under server/
> trunk/framework/modules/geronimo-commands/src/main/groovy/org/apache/
> geronimo/commands/FarmCommand.groovy , which should implement deploy/
> farm, but from Geronimo 2.2 branch and server trunk, this file is
> missing.
>
> And also from doc http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/plugin-based-farming.html
> , there should be a GShell deploy/farm command to mange farm.But
> after i installed plugins below,
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/plugin-farm-datasource/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/plugin-farm-member/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car
> org.apache.geronimo.configs/plugin-farm/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car
>
> i still can't find out this command via gshell command, just cluster/
> deploy and cluster/heartmonitor.Can you give some hints?

At some point the "farm" commands were renamed to "cluster".  AFAIK
there are no gshell commands related to deployment based clustering
since you set that up with some special repositories in the server
that are then accessed using normal gshell commands.

> And "Server farm management based on plugins" means install plugins
> to farm members, but if we want to deploy applications (non-plugin
> forma) to farm members, we still follow "Farming using Deployment "
> article: http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/farming-using-deployment.html
> , right?

I think you should first consider which farm technology better suits
your needs, then decide whether to pre-deploy your apps as plugins and
use the plugin based clustering or deploy your apps directly to a
deployment based cluster.  I can't think of any good reasons to use
the deployment based cluster, but other people might be able to.

hope this is correct and helps
thanks
david jencks