geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject osgi-ification progress
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2009 01:59:03 GMT
I've been working on my sandbox framework copy on converting to use
osgi, and I've made some progress.
My basic strategy has been to replace plugin classloader usage with
Bundle (and BundleContext) use.  This looks like it will work out ok.

Most of the code compiles and unit tests pass and I'm to the point
where I have to figure out how to make a maven plugin fire up enough
of osgi to run bits of geronimo so we can build plugins, and how to
actually start stuff inside a real osgi framework.  So far I've mocked
up BundleContext and Bundle enough to run unit tests.

I don't see any really major problems ahead, and the next steps look
pretty straightforward.

The most annoying thing so far has been that in order to track
starting bundles a given bundle depends on in the
ConfigurationManager, I need to use a thread local since it pretty
much has to be a recursive process of starting bundles through
BundleContext rather than what we used to  do of computing the entire
tree and starting it depth first.  To do this now would involve too
much peeking inside bundles that might not even be using geronimo's
dependency mechanism.

thanks
david jencks