On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:08 AM, Ivan wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I'm afraid our points of view are rather different.  I've added some comments inline to try to explain my point of view.

On Jul 13, 2009, at 11:14 PM, chi runhua wrote:

Before we start working on documentation, I'd like to confirm what I understood so far is correct.

We have 2 different scenarios: (1) users are going to develop new applications but they are used to the tomcat way; (2) users have existing application running on Tomcat, we'd like to provide a seamless way migrating to Geronimo.

For (1), We support server.xml now because we want users to use Geronimo in the same way they used to be as in Tomcat, such as connector configuration, security realm, log configuration, valve and deploy method as well; in this case,

Connector configuration  and deployment in geronimo are still completely different from tomcat.  Tomcat security realms won't integrate with geronimo security.

    What is the difference for the connector configuration between Geronimo and Tomcat? Currently, all the connector configurations are in the server.xml file.

I think I confused two possible meanings of "connector'.  I (now) imagine you and Jeff are thinking of the web listener coyote connectors which should definitely configured in server.xml.  For some reason -- it no longer makes any sense to me -- I was thinking of j2ca connectors, in particular database pools.

sorry for the confusion
david jencks

    Ivan

Geronimo will take care of users' applications and provide run-time environment. Anyway, we will recommend users to adopt GBean usage for Web container configuration instead of using server.xml, which we can demostrate the up-sides of Geronimo architecture using app-per-port sample;

The only reason I can see to configure a tomcat server using gbeans rather than server.xml is if you have a legacy server configuration that you don't want to convert.  In my view using a server.xml is a lot more convenient than the individual gbeans.

As for (2), users can simply copy their server.xml into /var/catalina by overwriting the one in Geronimo,  and for example, user need to copy the applications to /var/catalina/web-apps/. There would be nothing different from the old days. Geronimo will provide run-time enviornment.

I'd really prefer that we emphasize server assembly using geronimo plugins rather than manual file copying.  The two ways I've thought of so far for setting up a tomcat server is by replacing the tomcat plugin we ship or by unpacking a server.xml from a plugin to overwrite the server.xml we ship.  The second method seems unreliable to me, what happens if you deploy 2 such plugins?

I haven't checked but I hope that tomcat hot deployment doesn't work.  IMO web apps should be deployed using a geronimo plan basically as they are today.  If copying an app into a tomcat hot deploy folder does work, the result won't relate to geronimo services in any way (for instance jndi, transactions, security).

In either scenario, users' apps will be untouched and cann't be used as geronimo plugin because they are still tomcat-specific.

Web apps should still be deployed as plugins using a geronimo plan.  Otherwise they will not get any benefit from running in geronimo rather than plain tomcat: they won't have access to geronimo jndi, transactions, security, ejbs, or any other services.

At the moment we don't support context.xml files.  It would be great if we did but that would require quite a bit more work.

thanks
david jencks

Anything incorrect, please hop in.

thanks