geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Delos <dait...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575 Discussion
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:03:14 GMT
Thanks very much for your analysis, Tim!

I strongly agree with you to present Exception to the user in an intuitive
manner.

Here are some of my thoughts

   1. Present exception or failure to user with eclipse error dialog
      - try to throw CoreException with IStatus object containing
      information about the error, this will be captured by eclipse
and cause an
      error dialog in eclipse
      - If CoreException can't be thrown (eg. due to method signature of
      WTP) and operation is in a Job with a monitor,  a RuntimeException can be
      thrown containing an error message. It will also cause an error dialog in
      eclipse.
      - If operation is not in a Job with a monitor, throwing
      RuntimeException may not be captured by eclipse, so maybe no error dialog
      show. In this case, I think GEP code need to pop up a error
dialog itself,
      without resorting to eclipse.
      2. Meanwhile, log the exception or failure in plug-in log with Trace

Any comments or suggestions? Please feel free to tell us.

Thanks

--
Best Regards,

Delos