geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Con US '09 Geronimo Track
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:57:40 GMT

On Jul 14, 2009, at 10:59 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Sorry ... I think you should just consider the lack of comments to
> be silent approval :-).

I was, just giving people a reminder...

> I really am fine with it just as it is worded.   However, here are
> some other thoughts.
> - Do we need to clearly state that Geronimo delivers (out of the
> box) a fully compliant Java EE Server in addition to stating that
> the plugins can be used to assemble one?

No. Was kind of thinking ahead to the track description, not just the
call for papers. Don't think it hurts. So, will leave it...

> - In listing the subprojects should we mention JavaMail, Component
> and Transaction support?

Sure. 'etc' was easier than typing. ;-) They are certainly more
interesting than 'Specs'...

> - Do we want to mention anything about choice in core server
> components when building server configurations - for example support
> for both Tomcat and Jetty or CXF and Axis2?
>
> One other potential topic - custom server assemblies

Agreed.

Updated version...

Apache Geronimo is a lightweight, flexible, component-based server for
building dynamic application server environments. Geronimo plugins can
be assembled into a fully compliant Java EE Server. However, it can be
easily assembled into a server providing a subset of functionality or
a minimal subset required to meet the requirements of a set of
applications. In addition to the Apache Geronimo Server, the Geronimo
project is also comprised of a number of subprojects: Development
Tools, XBean, Yoko, GShell, JavaMail, Connector/Transaction, etc.

Potential topics for the Geronimo Track include, but are in no way
limited to:
   * Geronimo architecture,
   * Systems management,
   * Custom server assemblies,
   * Application development and user experiences,
   * OSGi Blueprint,
   * Kernel restructuring,
   * Java EE 6,
   * etc.