geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Trunk Builds
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 19:43:03 GMT

On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:36 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> [...]
> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 1, 2009, at 11:04 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to make things work and behave the same for ejb-based web
>>> services as for servlet-based web services. I have a similar
>>> security
>>> tests to jaxws-ejb-sec for servlet-based web services - see
>>> jaxws-war-sec. Take a look at /basicAllowGet example in web.xml. It
>>> has one http-method specified (POST) and auth-method is configured
>>> BASIC. That allows me to perform GET on the service without any
>>> security but POST request will require BASIC auth. So if that's how
>>> are things working for web-based services I would like to have the
>>> same behavior for ejb-based services.
>>
>> I'm not very happy with what we can configure now.  With a web app,
>> you can
>> have lots of security constraints but IIUC for ejb ws you can only
>> have one.
>>  So with a single web security constraint, say you restrict POST to
>> require
>> CONFIDENTIAL and auth.  That means that non-POST requests are
>> completely
>> unconstrained both for transport and for auth.  In a web app you
>> can have
>> more constraints so that e.g. there's still transport guarantee.
>>
>> If we imitate this with ejb constraints  but only allow a single
>> constraint,
>> then adding a http method into the mix mostly unsecures everything
>> else.  I
>> don't think this is a good idea.  I think there are 2 reasonable
>>
>> 1. if we only allow a single constraint, only grant the permissions
>> from
>> that constraint.... everything else is prohibited.  This is nearly
>> the
>> opposite of what servlet constraints do.  This is pretty easy to
>> implement.
>> 2. allow full web-like multiple security-constraint elements
>> although we'd
>> ignore the role-constraint mapping since the ejb security ought to
>> be more
>> meaningful.  This is more complicated to implement, but might not
>> be exactly
>> difficult.
>>

> I don't understand why a single security constraint in web should be
> handled differently then a single security constraint in ejb. Bottom
> line is that we do want to provide an option for unsecure access for
> GETs to retrieve the wsdl and secure access for all other HTTP
> methods. The issue is mainly with the javax.xml.ws.Service API where
> you have to pass a service wsdl url to create an instance of it but
> there is no easy way to specify what authentication method and/or
> credentials to use to retrieve that wsdl. And once you have the
> Service instance there is an easy way to configure the
> credentials/authentication method on the port object for the
> invocation (the POST, PUT, etc. requests).

Since there are an infinite set of http methods now,  you can't secure
all non-GET requests with one servlet 2.5 security constraint.  I'm
not sure if there's a syntax for servlet 3.0 web.xml to exclude GET
requests but apparently you can do it on servlets with annotations.
So I don't know how to produce this effect for POJO ws but its pretty
easy for ejb ws with two permissions.

If the only use case is the binary choice between

-- secure all requests with transport guarantee and authentication
-- secure all non-GET requests with transport guarantee and
authentication but allow all GET requests with no transport guarantee
or authentication

then I think a flag in our xml would be more appropriate than what we
have now.

Are there other choices?

thanks
david jencks