geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575 Discussion
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 07:21:18 GMT
Hi, I've spent a little time looking into this problem (i.e.,
GERONIMODEVTOOLS-575) a bit more thoroughly so that I can fully understand what
error scenarios need to be considered for inclusion in this JIRA. Delos has done
a good job with his current patch as it covers many of the obvious error
scenarios like "Start, Stop, Restart server", "Set , Reset, Remove Project
runtime Target", "Publish, Republish, Remove module". However, there are other
permutations and error scenarios that I think we should strive to handle as well.
For example, there are at least two possible permutations for each of the above
scenarios that should be accounted for:

	1.  Failure/Exception on the GEP side
	2.  Failure/Exception on the WTP side

Also, there are other scenarios that entail interactions with WTP that I think
should be addressed since they have caused considerable  user confusion in the
past when failures occur. For example (again considering failures on both GEP and
WTP sides):

	-- Failure/Exception when connecting to the server
	-- Failure/Exception when invoking the "Run on Server" wizard instead of using
the Add/Remove wizard
	-- Failure/Exception when logging in to the server from the GEP
	-- Probably many others that escape me now

I guess what I'm really suggesting is that we need a consistent implementation
throughout the GEP when interactions with WTP are involved so that
Failures/Exceptions are presented to the user in an intuitive manner (e.g., an
Error Dialog and/or Eclipse log messages). Unfortunately this is not the case
today, but Delos has certainly started down the right track to mitigate many of
these GEP usability problems. Thoughts ??

--
Thanks,
Tim McConnell