geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From rlwaldrop <...@joydirect.org>
Subject Needed: Software Architect for Performance Lab
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:22:48 GMT

Needed:  Software Architect for Performance Lab
LOCATION:  Kansas City, MO USA

Hi There,

I work as a contractor here at the USDA and we are looking for someone to
run our Application Availability and Performance Lab (AAPL) team.  We have
two positions at the highest level of the team.  The team provides
performance monitoring, tuning and general systems and software consultation
to the Farm Services Agency of the USDA.  There is a lot of scenario
recreation and performance verification that goes on.  We are looking for a
Technical Lead for the team and also a peer to the Technical Lead who is
similarly excellent but wouldn't hold any managerial/advocacy roles for the
team.  The pay is expected to be between exceptionally high.  We may be able
to cover as much as $200K for the right candidate.  The right candidate
could stay for as much as 3 years or longer (if desired) and could have
several other opportunities open up in the organization for the longer term.
1099's are possible but compensation/benefits may be higher for a W2.

We are a Java/J2EE shop using Struts and other open source web development
tools and technologies.  We use JBoss and WebSphere servers.  Our group
provides consultation to the federal employees that oversee the architecting
of software for farm related web applications.  Experts in Java/J2EE, maven,
performance tuning and testing, database tuning and testing, software
configuration and deployment and a variety of related technologies would be
potentially acceptable, but the expectations on your expertise will be high
and we will verify your skills.

I'm currently holding the tech lead position on the team and am looking for
better people than me to fill the roles.  So far applicants have not been
impressive enough to fill these positions.

Please send me your resume if you are interested.

robert.waldrop AT kcc.usda.org

To give you a better idea of things, below is a detailed description put
together by some folks in our building.

The below will give you a context.  If you do not match the below
description but are certain that everyone you work with considers you to be
the technology expert at an aspect of the below (let's say you were an
original contributor to Maven or Postgresql or a really important Java
testing package or Struts or a Spring component) then please don't rule
yourself out.  Similarly if you are currently a contributor to an open
source project and do not want to leave that, there may be flexibility for
you to help with both.

Our primary goal is to find a superior person with excellent experiences.
Not to perfectly match a job description.

Performance and Availability Architects (Architect I, Architect II)

Has project management skills, including prioritization, measuring progress
Architect I - has experience participating in an availability and
performance team (J2EE environment preferred)
Architect II - has experience leading an availability and performance team
(J2EE environment preferred)
Ability to guide the vision of the performance and availability team, and
the ability to communicate this vision to the organization and senior
management
Ability to communication accomplishments to senior management
Proven track record in taking all tasks to completion
Brings unique performance and availability specialization in one of the
following areas: SQL/DBA, J2EE Application Server, Networking, J2EE
Application Development
Excellent oral and written communication skills (to development teams, upper
management)
Ability to identify and resolve problems that the development teams could
not find or solve on their own
Ability to identify the most important variables when setting up the test
environment to ensure that test results translate to production improvements
Expert-level mentoring skills, including ability to communicate performance
and availability issues to developers, and enable developers to resolve
those issues
Ability to work as a team with other senior architects, developers and
project managers
Hands-on experience developing J2EE applications
Expertise with Persistence Layers - data modeling, DAO technology (e.g.,
logical vs. physical data models, SQL, stored procedures, JDBC, Hibernate,
spring-jdbc)
Development Experience Web Services standards and implementation
Experience with web frameworks (JSP, Struts)
Experience with automated testing and coverage reports (e.g. JUnit, Cactus,
Emma, JCoverage, Cobertura, etc.)
Experience with industry standard build tools (e.g. Ant, Maven, etc.)
Hands-on Experience with a spectrum of J2EE technologies such as EJB, MDB,
JMS, JDBC, JPA, JTA, JNDI, Logging, Security, Threading
Experience with software methodologies (e.g. Rational Unified Process (RUP),
Agile, etc.)
UML notation and modeling experience (Use Cases, Object models, sequence
diagrams, etc.)
Experience with Object Oriented Analysis and Design (experience must
include: methodology, layered application design, etc.)
Design patterns experience (e.g., Gang of Four Design Patterns)
MVC architecture application implementation experience (related to the
business controller and business model layers)

Thank you.