geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Possible for G to directly consume a Tomcat server config w/o changes?
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:35:23 GMT

<snip>

> I played with something like this on the plane today..... it might
> not take more that a couple days to get _something_ working that
> interprets server.xml files.  It turns out there's no schema for
> tomcat configurations so it may be an adventure interpreting the
> same files they do.
>
> We might be able to copy their digester configuration but replace
> defaults with geronimo classes instead of tomcat classes.  I find
> digester grammar so hard to understand however that I started by
> generating a schema from a sample file and modifying it to fit the
> digeter rules.
>
> My current idea is to have a TomcatServerGBean that has a server.xml
> as an attribute, which it reads into a jaxb tree, which we call a
> "construct(ClassLoader cl)" method on to set up the tomcat objects.
> If this works it should be fairly easy.... no idea if it will
> actually work though.
>
> Next step would be a builder that, given a server.xml, sets up such
> a gbean.

Sounds interesting. IIUC, this embedded Tomcat instance replaces our
current embedded Tomcat. It improves our ability to configure this
instance -- it's native Tomcat config.

Are you thinking about all configuration files? E.g. WEB-INF/
context.xml, conf/context.xml? There are catalina.policy,
catalina.properties, tomcat-users.xml, also. Hmm. gets a little
messier...

--kevan