geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>
Subject Assemblies in the repo and their dependencies
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:36:11 GMT
Why do the assemblies in the repository have dependencies?  I realize
that they are probably there to facilitate the build, but shouldn't
they all be marked as <scope>provided</scope>?

The reason I think they should be, is that when a user wants to use
the geronimo-maven-plugin with the assembly -bin in the repository,
before they can even download the assembly -bin, first mvn has to go
resolve every single dependency which is used to build that assembly -
bin.

I think this is broken, while I can resolve by adding a tone of
excludes, I think that this problem should be solved so that users can
more easily consume the assembly artifacts we publish to the repository.

Any one know how easy/feasible with the current stuff (trunk and
2.1.x) it would be to mark all dependencies as provided?

--jason