geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Tomcat patch procedure kinda broken
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 15:57:40 GMT
I was trying to figure out how to get debuggable source for our
patched tomcat and discovered that the currently checked in patch is
mostly a diff from the previous patch, thus kinda unusable.

I've previously complained that with our private repo system we are
releasing code without providing very clear indications of what the
source code is.  In the case of tomcat I'm losing hope that they will
ever release a version from trunk that includes our patches.  I don't
think there are any good solutions to this but what I'm thinking of
today is...

1. write an archetype that sets up a bunch of maven projects that are
the structure of a maven build for tomcat
2. hopefully as part of the archetype or some related plugin or at
least a script run a bunch of svn commands to get the relevant tomcat
source code into the maven project structure.
3. check this in
4. apply our patches and check that in.

5. build snapshots and eventually release.

This way we have source code we can vote on, a reasonable build for
our patched tomcat, and a procedure that may not break so quickly.

Anyone have a better idea?

thanks
david jencks