Hello David, Dan

Thanks for your advice. With the suggestion of Jarek, I started a simple webservice and client with ws-security support (with CXF first). When this will run with the ws-security support then we can start integrating the "right jars" into geronimo (into the cxf plugin). Further, once we have all the jars integrated in geronimo we can try using a geronimo client and connect to the standalone cxf service with ws-security.

Many Thanks for your support.

Best Regards,
Rahul
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:51 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
On Mon May 11 2009 7:16:46 pm David Jencks wrote:
> On May 11, 2009, at 3:24 PM, rahul.soa wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As you know I am working on the support of ws-security module, so I
> > did some research about integrating the modules in Apache Geronimo
> > for the same.
> >
> > For the integrating/enabling WS-Security support, I think we need to
> > have the following jars and modules in Geronimo:
> >
> > Apache CXF:
> >
> > For WS-Security support we need to have following jar files from the
> > CXF:
> >
> > - bcprov-jdk15.jar
>
> Previously when we used some bouncy castle classes the jar included
> some classes that may well have infringed some us patents.  I think I
> saw somewhere that bouncy castle had finally released a jar without
> thses classes.  We should verify that this jar does not contain these
> classes.  Also, we have copies of a bunch of the bc classes we need
> for other purposes in the geronimo-crypto module, so we should check
> that we don't already have the needed classes.

Version 140 and later in maven have the patent covered algorithms removed.
Not an issue anymore.

> > - xalan.jar
>
> really?  I'd like to know why the xml transform support in the jdk is
> not sufficient.

xmlsec uses some of the internal xalan classes.   I could never get a good
reason as to why.

> > - serializer.jar

This goes with Xalan.

> > - wss4j.jar
> > - xmlsec.jar

Note:  all of those jars will be required for Axis2 as well.

> > Apache Axis2
> >
> > 1. We need to integrate "Rampart*" module of axis2,
> >
> > 2. for step 1, need to download the Java Cryptography Extension
> > (JCE) Unlimited Strength Jurisdiction Policy Files corresponding to
> > JDK version and extract the jar files local_policy.jar and
> > US_export_policy.jar to $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security
>
> These are not something we can include, right?  they'd have to be
> installed by the end user?

Correct.   However, for unit tests and such, we can PROBABLY use less secure
algorithms.   I have someone looking into the same issue for the CXF test
cases.   We don't want to make every developer have to install the strong
crypto libraries.  Basically, if the user needs the strong crypto stuff, they
WILL need to download and install the strong crypto libs from Sun.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org