geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Possible for G to directly consume a Tomcat server config w/o changes?
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 07:16:37 GMT

On May 19, 2009, at 8:17 PM, Lin Sun wrote:

> I am not a tomcat expert either... :-)  I think we could also try the
> following approach:
> 1. figure out how to read tomcat server.xml like you described.
> Tomcat is using
> 2. at the G server startup, transform data in tomcat server.xml into G
> config.xml, if there is change to server.xml since last time server
> started.  I think coming up for the mapping could be hard as
> configuring some features like valve or cluster requires
> documentation, time and experience.   Also, there could be some
> functions/configurations in server.xml that we don't support in G yet.

I'm not sure about this idea.  It seems really contrary to how most of
geronimo works.... where we take some kind of plan and more or less
freeze the configuration while "pre-deploying" it into a pretty much
immutable plugin.  I'm not convinced that accepting a new kind of plan
for a few gbeans requires adding this "continual redeploy"
functionality to geronimo.

> 3. During G startup, G can just build the embedded tomcat server by
> reading data from config.xml, like what it is doing today.

config.xml doesn't have to contain any info on the tomcat server
except that it ought to be started, i.e. listing the plugin.  The
gbean configurations are all serialized in the plugin.  I'd generally
prefer it if we dropped the ability to add gbeans to a plugin via
config.xml.

> AFAIK, server.xml doesn't contain any app info.   I agree that this is
> a very big change and requires a lot of testing to make sure things
> are not regressed.
Adding this new namespace driven builder is entirely new functionality
so there is not really any chance of regressions unless we decide to
deploy the "standard" tomcat server this way, which is certainly not
necessary to adding the feature.  So, to me the only problems are
actually writing the deployer and making sure it at least sort of works.

thanks
david jencks