geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Stuff I really want in 2.2
Date Thu, 28 May 2009 04:51:57 GMT

On May 27, 2009, at 11:17 PM, Ivan wrote:

> Seems good features for 2.2. I suggest to open JIRAs to track them,
> and I remember that some of them already have JIRAs opened.

good idea

> Ivan

> Here are some things I really really want in 2.2.  Since my main
> focus at the moment is getting the incipient 3.0 more osgi-ready if
> I have to do all of them 2.2 will be a long time coming... so
> hopefully others will become inspired and want to help :-)
>
> - in no particular order  -
>
> 1. upgrade to maven 2.1
GERONIMO-4651

> 2. upgrade to latest apache pom (6?)
GERONIMO-4652

> 3. upgrade to latest assembly plugin to help with source distros (I
> don't think it's released yet)
GERONIMO-4653

> 4. reexamine genesis and trim it (probably means genesis 2)

GERONIMO-4654

> 5. use the release plugin

GERONIMO-4655

> 6. get all our private dependencies into maven central.  This
> probably means releasing with our groupId unless we can get the
> projects to do a release

GERONIMO-4656

> 7. When we deploy, write the plan into the plugin something like the
> car-maven-plugin does.  Same with the default geronimo-plugin.xml
> (GERONIMO-4628)
> 8. We need some way to override/configure/set javaee env-entry
> values from something other than the original spec dd or annotation
> (GERONIMO-4630)
>
> 9. In the console, provide a uniform way to completely specify the
> artfiact ID for a plan being created.  Save the groupId and version
> as config-substitutions or something persistent.

To clarify the last phrase, my idea is that if you are setting up a
lotta plans in the console, you are a company that wants the same
groupId and its all probably part of a project with a known version
number.  So we should be able to remember these so you don't have to
type them in 20,000 times.

GERONIMO-4657

> 10. Provide a way to edit artifact-aliases in the console.  Include
> a way to specify artifact-alias when installing a jar.

GERONIMO-4658

I expect I'll be spending some time on the build.

thanks
david jencks