geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Possible for G to directly consume a Tomcat server config w/o changes?
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 22:09:06 GMT

On May 19, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Lin Sun wrote:
>> One quick way would be allow users to start a tomcat server from a
>> geronimo tomcat javaee5 assembly  or little G tomcat assembly(say
>> geronimo.sh start tomcatOnly=true).   It is possible to just launch
>> the tomcat server, and read the configuration files (conf/server.xml,
>> etc) and start a tomcat server from a geronimo tomcat assembly, by
>> using the Catalina.java provided by tomcat.   But this server/app
>> would have no relationship with geronimo, other than using the jars
>> provided by the geronimo tomcat assembly.   The deployed app would be
>> tracked only by tomcat, and not by geronimo.   We should be able to
>> achieve this without adding any new jars.
>>
>> If we need more than that, I can for seen the following issues that
>> need investigation -
>> 1. We'll have to provide better server integration with tomcat and be
>> able to read the server configuration from tomcat's server
>> configuration files, along with using config.xml configurations.
>>
> This would be an absolute minimal requirement.  Would this be really
> difficult?
>
>> 2. We'll have to migrate user's app automatically for the user, when
>> the user's app is a bit complicated that contains any need to require
>> a geronimo-web.xml
>>

> This is where things get more interesting.... lots of permutations
> and edge cases to consider.

I'm not enough of a tomcat expert to know exactly what information a
server.xml contains so I'm not quite sure how much the following makes
sense.

I think I would approach this by building a namespace aware builder
that can interpret documents following the server.xml schema  and
construct the entire tomcat server from it.  In other words, instead
of starting with our current tomcat6 plugin, the builder would
construct a replacement for it from the server.xml.  If server.xml
contains info on apps that are deployed in the tomcat instance, this
could perhaps hook into or extend the current TomcatModuleBuilder to
also set up plugins for each web app involved.

The first part here might not be too hard.  IMO if we treat the
server.xml as a geronimo plan that would be acceptable.  I'd recommend
trying jaxb rather than using xmlbeans.  I don't know how practical
this would turn out to be but it's worth starting with.

I personally think this is too large an addition to plan to get into
2.2.  However if a motivated person shows up with something working
before we solve the other problems I think we could consider it.  2.2
is already so much later than we had planned I don't want to hold it
up for any new features after the other problems have been solved.

thanks
david jencks