geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to add/remove security Pricipal User/Group?
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:43:00 GMT

On Apr 12, 2009, at 6:48 AM, govinda wrote:

> How to add/remove security Pricipal User/Group without re-deploying
> application?

I don't understand what you are asking.  I can think of two
possibilities:

1. You would like to change the identity information for some users.
For instance, add a user or add a group to a user.  Depending on how
your security realm is set up, you'd edit this information.  For
instance using the property file login module you'd edit the user and
group properties files (I think there's a console page to help with
this).  Using an ldap login module you'd modify the ldap data.

2. You want to change the principal-role mapping that indicates which
security realm principals are associated with particular application
roles.  To do this you need to redeploy the application after editing
the security element in your geronimo plan.

In order to avoid the need for (2) you should plan your security
carefully so there are enough roles in the application and enough
principals mapped to these roles to distinguish between all the kinds
of users your application needs.

thanks
david jencks