geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:25:12 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>

>> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:33 PM, Jack Cai wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that a 2.2 release would be nice to do to push out things
>>> already in trunk, before our users wait for too long. :-)
>>>
>>> I'm reviewing the list of planned features [1] and current status
>>> [2] of 2.2. The latter [2] is more up-to-date. It would be good to
>>> make clear the areas that need some more work, so that people like
>>> me can jump in and help. Currently the major development items I
>>> see -
>>>
>>> 1. TCK, need a committer to do the job
>>> 2. MDB problems mentioned above
>>> 3. JMS portlets update mentioned above
>>> 4. Farm/cluster management (do we still want this in 2.2?)
>> What's the problem with (4)?
>>
>> I've been assuming that the classloader work Gianny and I have been
>> working on in my sandbox would get into 2.2.  At the moment I think
>> I have the classloader framework more or less working and I'm going
>> through the plugins working on setting up the required jar
>> dependencies.  Only some of them can be derived from maven
>> dependencies.  This is turning out to be a somewhat slow process.
>
> I finally got the server to run with the one-classloader-per-jar
> setup.  After struggling with this for a couple of weeks and seeing
> the difficultly of correctly configuring classloaders I don't  think
> we should put this into 2.2.  For one thing classloading seems to be
> pretty slow: it takes about 55 seconds to start the jetty-jee5 server.

Ouch.

> At the moment I think a reasonable strategy would be to:
>
> 1. branch 2.2 off of trunk now
> 2. merge in the classloader work from my sandbox framework and local
> copy
> 3. upgrade trunk version to 3.0-SNAPSHOT
> 4. work on using osgi classloading instead of our homegrown solution.

I agree, in general. My only question would be why branch 2.2 *now*?
My only concern is it might be too soon and we'll be merging more
changes from branches/2.2 into trunk than we'd like. Either way
(branch now or branch in a week or two) I agree with the above.

> For 2.2 it would be nice to get jaspi officially OK and in.  We
> finally got the tck from sun.  I haven't looked at it yet to try to
> figure out how hard it will be to adapt to our tck setup or to run.
> If we can get it in we can probably also get the jetty 7 integration
> in.  Doing this before (1) might be a good idea.

Ah. So, I'd agree with that. Sounds like we're of the same general
mind... Some general progress on the server TCK would also be valuable.

--kevan