geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Thinking about a 2.2 release
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:26:06 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 6:58 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:42 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been assuming that the classloader work Gianny and I have
>>> been working on in my sandbox would get into 2.2.  At the moment I
>>> think I have the classloader framework more or less working and
>>> I'm going through the plugins working on setting up the required
>>> jar dependencies.  Only some of them can be derived from maven
>>> dependencies.  This is turning out to be a somewhat slow process.
>>
>> I finally got the server to run with the one-classloader-per-jar
>> setup.  After struggling with this for a couple of weeks and seeing
>> the difficultly of correctly configuring classloaders I don't
>> think we should put this into 2.2.  For one thing classloading
>> seems to be pretty slow: it takes about 55 seconds to start the
>> jetty-jee5 server.
>
> 55 seconds to start... that's really bad  in comparison to the
> server today. The full Tomcat JEE5 assembly on my MBP will start in
> something like 20 seconds.. a minimal assembly under 10 seconds.
> I've been seeing reports that JBoss 5 is slow and bloated compared
> to earlier releases... seems to be the natural evolution of app
> servers.
> Is the performane hit related to the design (classloader per jar) or
> something in how the design is implemented?

I had enough trouble getting the server to start.... I haven't done
any profiling to find out what the slowdown is actually caused by.  I
assume that its because the classloader graph is now about 4 to 8
times larger and has a lot of duplication in it and no optimization.
I heard a rumor somewhere once that in order to perform well osgi
classloading needs indexing so a classloader knows where to look for a
class it doesn't load itself.  I imagine we now have exactly the same
problem.  I expect that with a bit of work -- such as actually using
osgi -- classloading will be at least as fast as it was before these
changes.

david jencks