geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] to create a set of maven archetypes for applications running on geronimo ?
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 07:35:26 GMT

On Mar 16, 2009, at 11:50 PM, Shawn Jiang wrote:

> [...]
> 5: internal -> xxxx
> 6: internal -> xxxx
> 7: internal -> xxxx
>
> Choose a number:  (1/2/3/4/5/6/7) 1: : 1
>
> select "1" to create a hello sample project will bring him to a
> wizard like this:
>

> Define value for geronimo_version: : 2.1.4
> Define value for context_root: : hellocontext
> Define value for groupId: : my.first.geronimo.web
> Define value for artifactId: : helloApp
> Define value for version:  1.0-SNAPSHOT: :
> Define value for package:  my.first.geronimo.web: :
> Confirm properties configuration:
> geronimo_version: 2.1.4
> context_root: hellocontext
> groupId: my.first.geronimo.web
> artifactId: helloApp
> version: 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> package: my.first.geronimo.web
>  Y: : Y
>
> notice the user could define which geronimo version he is using and
> defind the context root when generating the application.  The two
> values will be used to generate a geronimo-web.xml like this:
>
> <web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1"
>          xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming-1.2"
>          xmlns:sec="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/security-2.0"
>          xmlns:sys="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.2">
>
>   <sys:environment>
>     <sys:moduleId>
>       <sys:groupId>my.first.geronimo.web</sys:groupId>
>       <sys:artifactId>helloApp</sys:artifactId>
>       <sys:version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</sys:version>
>       <sys:type>car</sys:type>
>     </sys:moduleId>
>     <sys:dependencies>
>        <!--some dependency on geronimo 2.1.4 here>
>     </sys:dependencies>
>     <sys:hidden-classes/>
>     <sys:non-overridable-classes/>
>   </sys:environment>
>
>   <context-root>/hellocontext</context-root>
>
> </web-app>
>

> I can see following benefits by creating these kind of sample
> archetypes:
>
> 1, User does not need to install a subversion to get the samples or
> to download the samples zip.
> He just need to install a maven to get all kinds of samples whatever
> he wants.
>
> 2, geronimo version could be provided at sample project generating
> time.
> As I know, most of samples content does not change at all except
> those geronimo version update.  To keep these "stable" samples to
> archetypes can save the time to
> maintain every samples per geronimo release.  (of course, for those
> unstable samples, we still need to update them per geronimo release)
>
> 3, Other key properties in geronimo deployment plan could be
> provided at sample project generating time.
> This is helpful for user to understand the essential elements of
> geronimio deployment plan.
>
> Current maven archetype is using velocity template which is very
> powerful to generate project contents based on user's input.

It looks to me as if there are no plans in the javaee apps parts of
the samples apps, so the plans are all in the plugin modules.  I
really don't think we want to duplicate the functionality of the
existing archetypes that do a fine job of creating projects for java
ee apps.  If you really do want to help people make projects like the
sample apps, the way to do that is to improve the plugin archetype.  I
like your ideas about what can be generated in the geronimo plan.  I
think we can also generate a lot more of the pom than we do now.

I would be very tempted to try stringtemplate instead of velocity.  I
think its clear MVC separation and roots in code generation technology
(it's the output stage for antlr)  may prove useful for the
manipulation we need to do.

While enabling people to reproduce our sample apps is probably better
than what we do now, I'd prefer to help them with apps that actually
do a realistic amount of work.  I think improving the plugin archetype
would be a really big help.

thanks
david jencks